History of the Friends of the Library
During the years from 1951 – 1955, there was no public library service in Collierville. The absence of books in the hands of citizens motivated a group of ladies into action. The Collierville Contemporary Club voted to address this situation by contacting the town fathers and other civic clubs, proposing a plan for a “volunteer” library. The Shelby County Commission gave a boost to this goal by “giving new life to the Shelby County Library System.”
This group of ladies formed the informal Friends of the Library. Duties were shared as needed. President Mrs. C. H. (Hopsie) Harrell immediately formed a committee composed of Mrs. O. C. (Thelma) Dean, Mrs. M. K. (Alice) Mann, Sr., and Mrs. Karr (Catharine) Hinton who contacted Turner Clark, Director of County Libraries. The Town agreed to provide a building and utilities. The club members then put their husbands to work building shelves, installing lighting, painting, and moving furniture, preparing to accept books provided by the county.
A small, rectangular building covered with white stucco located at the corner of Walnut and North Rowlett was selected. A hamburger joint had occupied it previously, and the smell of onions and frying hamburgers remained even after the library opened. It was reported that the smell often gave readers a hunger attack.
Soon over 2,500 volumes purchased by the Memphis Public Libraries filled the shelves and the doors opened on March 5, 1956. The first librarian was Mrs. James (Sue) Cowan who was a member of the Contemporary Club and former teacher. The library was open two days a week, Mondays from 2:00 – 6:00 and Fridays from 2:00 – 9:00. During the first 10 months, 7,933 books were issued.
The Library became a meeting place for students walking home from high school . On Wednesday morning, there was a story hour for preschool children. Librarian Sue Cowan told stories using a treasure chest full of cutout figures to represent the storybook characters. Along with Collierville residents, many people came from north Mississippi, Fayette County, Fisherville, Eads, and Forest Hill to use the Library.
Within a short period of time, conversations were taking place about enlarging the building and expanding the collection. Of course, money was a major consideration, but where there is a will there is a way. In 1964, the Shelby County Court and Shelby County Commissioners made the decision to increase money for the operation of the Library. A new Library was constructed near the police station. Larry Bone, then Director of Shelby County Libraries, was diligent in making improvements in the operation of the Library. Hours were increased to 6 days a week, the collection was increased encouraging the upward movement in circulation. In 1965, the number of books issued in a 10 month period increased to 22,236.
In 1971 the first official Friends of the Collierville Library group was established. Originally the membership was limited to representatives of various local civic organizations. This group advocated for an improvements to the facilities. In 1984, the state of Tennessee provided a grant of $376,000 for expansion of the Library. The Town of Collierville augmented these funds to purchase land for the renovation. In January 1987, the addition was completed. During the 1990s membership in Friends was expanded to include the general public.
The current Lucius E and Elsie C Burch, Jr. Library was completed in February 2001. One of the first special projects the Friends chose to undertake was the “Southern Living Idea House.” Our volunteers raised $25,000 for the Library.
Since it's beginning, Friends members have been active in our support of the Library. To supplement funds from the Fall Book Sale, the Friends opened the Friends Again Book Store in space provided by the Library in October 2007. Open five days a week the store provides funding for many of the items requested by the Library staff. It also create many opportunities for volunteers to contribute by sorting, shelving, and selling donated books through out the year.
Along with our regular contributions to the Library we have provided funding for some extras. These included a sofa and microwave for the staff break room, as well a a picnic table under the gazebo and the children's Story Walk. We also helped defray the costs of refurbishing the Children's and young adult areas and the foyer. We also contributed to Library programming. We provided a marionette and puppet program along with several meet the author events.
We also donate our services to the Library beyond selling books. Friends have participated in many special projects including a paper shredding drive, counting patrons entering the library during Covid, passing out Halloween candy and a city wide reading project with the Library and the Literacy Council.
Now we are facing our biggest challenge. The Town of Collierville has asked Friends to raise four million dollars toward the Library's Expansion Campaign. We are excited to do our part to ensure the success of this next chapter of the Library's development. Please join us.